Tuesday, April 13, 2010

WTF: Dress Sites Suck!

This is by no way a relevant or meaningful update. More of a pointless mini-rant, really.

I had a pocket of time this morning that I spent aimlessly stumbling around the net. Suddenly, I found myself clicking through wedding dress sites. GOOD GOD...finding a dress may be more difficult than I thought.

First off, what the hell is up with all these sites that have pages upon pages of dresses with NO PRICES?! Aside from David's Bridal, I can't seem to find any comprehensive sites that have their dresses organized with prices. And there also seems to be alot of 'scammy sites' out there, which is kinda annoying.

I get that there are dress manufacturers...and then stores that may or may not carry them. But when I click to go find a store that has a dress I find remotely appealing, either the store just says "yes, we carry that brand" or it shows the dress...same pic as the one from the manufacturer...but still, NO PRICE. I'm just not at a point where I feel like contacting a dress shop and going through all the machinations to get information. I want to just browse and price-shop from behind the safe confines of my computer monitor.

Then the pop-ups attack. "Click here to join our email list and enter to win your dress!" or "Click here to speak to someone about this dress!" or "Click here to see more info but only after you give us your mailing address!". NO. NO. NO.

Perhaps my disdain for these dress sites stems from my inherant preference to shop with minimal human interaction. I'd just like to be able to conduct my own research with being pestered by salespeople or having to jump through hoops. Is that so wrong?

Furthermore, like my blog boasts, I am on a budget. A very tight one, at that. So the price of the dress actually matters more than the style. But this also creates new element of frustration: I am hating almost all the dresses I see.

I do have an idea of what I want: something simple but vintagey (1930s or 40s style), either trumpet or ballgown, some lace-work, off the shoulder though spaghetti strap is ok too. NO STRAP-LESS. I swear, 95% of the dresses out there are strap-less and really fluffy, super shiny, sparkly, lots of ruffles and bows...I dunno, just not my thang.

I am super welcome to any suggestions to good sites where I can browse dresses! Or other thoughts...ideas...

It should probably be noted that we STILL have not set a date, much to my frustration. Though we are still shooting for next Fall...*fingers crosses*

3 comments:

Pauline Law said...

shopstyle.com has everything, seriously, everything.

Anonymous said...

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/231317/affordable_online_resources_for_wedding.html?cat=23

Skip the Trashy Diva stuff, apparently they no longer do wedding gowns.

Anonymous said...

I will probably be doing the first round of dress browsing this afternoon, and I so commiserate with what you're saying. I want a shorter-length dress (I think all my shortness will just get lost in a big poofy skirt), just a pretty white party dress, and I also refuse to do strapless, which is hard to find on a shorter dress.

My sister-in-law/matron of honor referred me to bluefly.com to look at designers. They have a huge "Bridesmaids" category in their wedding/formal section, but no "Brides" category (?!) and only have three dresses in white. Are you going with white or are you looking for a color that's more fun? Did I mention that my least favorite color is ivory/ecru/things-in-the-beige-family? Why would I want my dress to be the color of office equipment? Things are beige went they don't even have the cajones to be white.

I love that I'm seeing dresses with pockets, though. It's ridiculous that designers make women's pants with no pockets. Like we don't need a place for phones and lipgloss.

It was also suggested to me to check out http://www.whitexchange.com/ for once-worn gowns, but it appears to me that their search engine doesn't work. I stopped in White Chicago today (also wedding resale) and it looked like they had amazing stuff, but way too much money and by appointment only.

I do like that the David's Bridal TV ads flaunt their $99 rack.

Post a Comment