Monday, January 11, 2010

Some background info...

I should probably start off with some basic background information. First of all, Dan and I have been together for a little over 2 years.

We've known for a long time that we wanted to share our lives together. In fact, after only a few weeks into the relationship, I think we both knew it. It was like this mutual, unspoken, terrifying realization. It was very weird...mostly because I'd never felt that way about anyone before.

I was actually mad because I was suddenly living a cliche. They say when you meet the person you are to spend your life with, "you just know it"...and well, that is exactly what I felt. Very weird...but true, at least, for me.

Anyways, we kind of dodged the issue of marriage for a bit. I mean, it IS a huge step no matter how you dice it.

But soon after our 2 year anniversary in early November, I brought it up with him. We talked and decided that it was time to get engaged, but to do it with the mindset that the actual wedding would be a long way off.

He then did the right thing (in my mind) and just let me pick out the ring I wanted that was within his budget. I did want a diamond, but nothing flashy. I've never liked solitaires, but I have been attracted to the "3 stone" settings I've seen.

Ideally, we would have gone to a jewelry store. NOT JARED, of course. But everything I liked was waaaaay out of his budget. So I poked around online and found a few reputable sites. We eventually went with one that was having a huge sale.

Sapphires are my favorite gem, so I got a ring with two little ones on either side of the diamond. The ring is 14K white gold, with an 'antique' filigree setting. I really love it. Of course, the stones are super tiny and not the best quality. But I don't care, unlike most women.

Hell, I actually chose it over another because it was marked down 75% off the actual price. We sure did get a helluva deal, even on less-than-perfect stones.

Honestly, the ring exists to remind me that the engagement is real. It's a confirmation of our intentions, not a status symbol of how much money Dan could blow on a piece of jewelry.

So he ordered it and it came in mid-December. We decided not to tell anyone. Partially because there was no element of surprise for me so I decided to inflict one on our friends and family.

If I could do this part over, I would tell my sister. Christmas came, and Dan asked my Dad for permission to engage me. Again, we did this in secret. I felt weird about it...but we decided to hold off and make our grand announcement at our New Years Eve party. By the way, my Dad was very pleased and excited after Dan came to him. He even hugged him and said he was hoping this would happen!!!

Again, I think I would have handled the announcement part differently. But whatever, we waited until just after midnight and then announced it to our friends (and to my very shocked sister).

Everyone was definitely surprised, and mostly everyone seemed very happy for us. In the days and weeks that have followed, I was barraged by all the typical attention a woman gets after obtaining THE RING. I was a little unprepared for that and kind of confused. Perhaps because I've never been one to gush over that stuff.

Soooo we don't have a date yet.

I'd like to set it for sometime in the next year and a 1/2. He is thinking in the next 2-3 years. So clearly, the first hurdle will be coming to a decision/compromise about the date.

The reason for the long engagement is simple. We need to save up lots of money as we will be funding about 90% of the wedding ourselves.

Neither of us have families that will be able to help much with the expenses. Not that we expected them to, but you know, tradition and all that crap.

Speaking of tradition, I do know that I want a mostly non-conventional wedding with only a splash of tradition. I've been observing weddings for many years. I've seen the whole gamet. Some of the weird, quirky elements I like, some I think are downright retarded.

Either way, I think it will be a fun challenge to create a unique event that we can afford.

1 comment:

Anomaly said...

Harlan and I had the early realization, too...we were dating less than two months and he was introducing me (only half-jokingly) as his wife.

And I'm sorry for being part of the initial gushing barrage...I just know that what I wanna do is going to take time and I was all stupidly excited at the thought of getting started. =D

Post a Comment