Wednesday, January 27, 2010

I'll take the physical challenge, please.

Even though we don't have a date set, I intend to lose some serious weight before I walk down the aisle.

I've been a lazy sack of shit most of my life. The last time I engaged in regular physical activity was when I was 12 years old and played league soccer. Soon after that, I sank into a hazy, sedentary lifestyle that has basically stripped my body of all muscle tone and allowed the fat to pile on to my 5'3" frame.

I hate my body.

And clearly, my body hates me. I've had severe back and knee problems for the past 10 years as a result of the weight. I look terrible in most clothing. I can't breathe or sleep comfortably and I sweat like a mofo when I walk up a flight of stairs.

It's disgusting.

I've made weak attempts over the years to be more healthy. I tried yoga for about a year but became frustrated as my fat ass couldn't get into most of the more complex positions so I gave up.

I tried walking around a track in my neighborhood for a while, but gave up when it got too cold.

I worked in a building with a gym for 2 years and never used it because I didn't like the way it smelled.

And my biggest problem, I HAVE ZERO SELF-CONTROL when it comes to food. I saw no reason why I couldn't eat whatever greasy, salt-covered, fat-laden food I encountered. I also never learned how to cook healthy. Not to mention I also have a very limited palate for vegetables.

Yeaaaah...I am a stupid human, I know this.

But the good news is that now I have a sudden burst of motivation: my wedding. My new mantra is: I WILL NOT BE A FAT BRIDE. I WILL NOT BE A FAT BRIDE. I WILL NOT BE A FAT BRIDE.

So at the beginning of January, I began a workout routine in my new company's very nice gym (not the old stinky one). It has sucked and I have barely made any progress, but I am trying to keep up with it.

My sister has been joining me and I find that working out with her is helping me stay motivated. She is much more knowledgeable than I am about weights, stretching and stuff. Plus we can bitch about life and be silly too.

Anyways, last night I scored a small victory. I RAN. I haven't ran or jogged probably since I was 12. Oh man...I wish I were exaggerating...

Anyways, it burned like hell and I could only do it for about 15 minutes, but I did it, with my sister cheering me on. My legs felt heavy and awkward at first, but then I started picking up my feet more and moving faster. I held a steady pace and endured the burn as it ripped through my calves and thighs.

I've read than running is one of the fastest and best ways to lose weight and stay healthy. I sure hope I can keep this up, it just might be my ticket into a smaller wedding dress.

3 comments:

Anomaly said...

= D I can help with tasty healthy cooking tips if ever you feel the urge. (basically going vegan for the baby has forced me to expand my kitchen repertoire.)

Pauline Law said...

Congrats Tara! Running is an awesome way to lose weight and often provokes healthier eating/drinking habits in order to promote better running performance. Keep up with it -- I'm here for moral support any time!

Tara said...

Thanks! :)

Post a Comment